Davao Christian High School started in the 1950s. Members of Davao Evangelical Church, then known as Davao Chinese Gospel Church, sought to provide Christian Education to the young. This vision came to reality in January 14,1953 when Davao Chinese Gospel Church Kindergarten School was established.
Too Siu Pao, the pastor's wife, and Bona Lim, a full-time church worker, pioneered the beginnings of the school with Bona Lim serving as the first preschool head. She, together her sister Valeria Lim and fellow church member Lourdes Chiew became the school’s first teachers.
The first kindergarten class of less than 10 students was held in the church building when it was still located along Villa Abrille Street. As the number of students grew during the course of the year, Atty. Rafael and Carmen Lim offered their downstairs residence along Rizal Street for the school's use. Later, the school moved to a rented room along Villa Abrille Street and afterwards returned to the Davao Chinese Gospel Church building. The first batch of 14 kindergarten pupils graduated 1954 and a board of trustees was formally organized in 1957. Job Chen, a church elder, was elected the first chairman of the board.
In 1959, the school began offering Grades 1 to 4 classes in an academic building and student-teacher dormitory in Garcia Heights, Bajada. The first batch of 14 elementary pupils graduated in 1962. The school moved one step further by offering high school education in 1971. By 1973, the school was officially named Davao Christian High School. The first batch of 35 high school students graduated in 1975.
School population exceeded 1000 by 1982. The Student Council was organized in 1984 with Mr. James Loyola as the first SC president. The DCHS Alumni Association was organized in 1987 with Alumnus Jessie Tiu as the first alumni association president.
Soon, the Bajada campus was no longer sufficient for the growing school population and needs. The school relocated to V. Mapa Street in 1988 with the completion of the initial phase of the 3-storey U-shaped building. Construction of an air-conditioned auditorium with a 1300-seating capacity followed in 1990.
Beyond the construction, the school also listed under the Association of Christian Schools, Colleges, and Universities – Accrediting Agency, Incorporated to ensure quality standard as a learning institution. The high school and elementary departments were first granted Level 3 accreditation status in 2013 and 2015, respectively. The preschool program was granted Level 2 accreditation status in 2014.
In 2003, DCHS marked its 50th year in a Golden Jubilee celebration.
Independent learning, which is adopted from the CVIF-Dynamic Learning Program, was introduced to the secondary level of education in the year 2005.
A 3-storey academic and athletic building was added in 2007. It now houses the high school classrooms and the covered basketball court. Several science laboratories and home economics laboratories were also added. An annex to the first U-shaped building was added in 2010 after enrollment reached 1500 students.
In 2013, the school joyously celebrated its 60th founding anniversary with the theme, “Amazed by God’s Grace.”
To meet the needs of a growing population and to accommodate the Senior High School at V. Mapa Campus, the school opened a branch along C. P. Garcia High way (Diversion Road) on June 2015.
The sign, TO GOD BE THE GLORY, is evident in all the entrances of the school buildings as well as on congratulatory streamers. These words serve as an apt reminder that behind all the growth and progress in DCHS history is our great and gracious God. Truly, to Him be all the glory!